Sunday, July 10, 2011

Wolf in Sheep clothing... the new way of virus infection through web browser!

The other day I was Googling for some pictures and when i found a pic which interested me, I went forward and clicked on it to get the bigger version. Instead of the full image, a virus scan started and it gave me a list full of detected threats and windows security alert popped in saying i have to remove it or cancel the action.


Being a computer expert myself, the busy environment around me that time made me click the "windows alert suggestion to remove all threats" without any hesitation. as soon as i clicked the remove all button my download manager software asked me for a location to save a program file, but i denied it as i didn't ask any downloads, still having many things to do on my list i just clicked on the cancel option and to my amazement, it triggered the same program download. (this all happened in a few seconds, and then i started realizing that i have been nearly fooled by a virus infection attempt!)


I stopped all my work to better investigate the issue and now realized that am not on windows explorer, but on my web browser! my browser window almost looked like my computer and made me even believe that the pop up was real! Me being a more than average computer user with a lot of experience on virus infections, for a second i was fooled by the clever attempt! 


After Googling the issue i found that many other users have had the same experience and i was sorry to here that some had mistakenly accepted the download and it almost ruined there system files, making them re install the OS.


If you ever experienced this clever attempt, or feel the threat it poses on novice users, please pass this message to them as well. 


Thank you.

No comments:

Post a Comment